Dear Friends, Drodzy Przyjaciele, Cari Amici,
Forgiveness of those who have hurt me is something I have worked at, prayed about, cried about, written about, argued about….it is something I have run towards, run away from and run in circles around over the years. But as I have grown older and as healing has taken root in all aspects of my life, I know that a very deep part of my healing has blossomed in me because forgiveness is something I am committed to practicing.
I have looked at it and worked at it from a wide range of psychological, emotional, and spiritual perspectives and it all has come down to a couple of very simple truths for me:
1) To forgive those who have hurt me frees me. It frees up my energy that I can spend on happy and beautiful things. It removes toxicity from my body and my soul.
2) To forgive myself puts power in my wings so I can fly!
3) Forgiveness is the magic hidden in our hearts that makes the Impossible Possible!
4) Forgiveness is something I do for my own soul…it really has nothing to do with the other person. It doesn’t matter if they know I forgive them or not…or even if they don’t know that they are in need of forgiveness. I do it so that I do not carry bitterness and the dark, stifling energy of resentments and un-forgiveness.
So, I want to share an amazing event with you, regarding forgiveness. I was doing something earlier this week, that was specifically an act of consciously choosing to pour kindness on someone who hurt me very deeply in the past. I wanted to put into a very concrete action this choice of forgiving this person. While I was in the very act of doing this kindness, a huge Great Grey Owl landed on a branch of a tree outside the window of this person’s apartment. I gasped.
The Great Grey Owl was about 5 feet from the window and it was literally looking right into the apartment, right at me and the person I was caring for.
That Owl stayed on that branch for over 2 hours! Periodically it would twirl its head around, but most of the time it sat motionless, staring with its breathtaking beauty right at us.
At one point I felt like crying..it was becoming overwhelming,…it was broad daylight and this was such a remarkable experience and I knew that it must be a Messenger with a Message. I couldn’t believe that I was making long, sustained, close up eye contact with a Great Grey Owl!
My heart pounded with love and gratitude and I just kept thanking it for coming and telling it I was open and listening for its message. As the evening went on, I was pretty certain that the Great Grey Owl had simply come to let me know that it was a very wise thing to heap kindness on this person.
And in the Light of Death, I would be very glad I had done this. The fire of Love had just been fed with the wood of this opportunity and it was blazing!
With the Fire of Love, Z w Ogniem Miłości, Con il Fuoco dell’Amore,
Gabriel Orion Marie
* For those of you who may not know, I have published a series of three books that tell the story of my recovery and healing from profoundly intense physical, sexual and spiritual abuse. These books have dozens of paintings that I did during my process and those paintings are a core form of communication I used in my Healing. These books are available on Amazon. I hope you will read them and pass them on to others! This White House (Book One), Going Sane (Book Two) and A Spectacular Dawn (Book Three)